Center for Aquatic Sciences at Adventure Aquarium
Where: Camden, NJ
Approx Hours: 8-16 hrs (1-2 days)/week
Media, Communications, & Journalism, Website Development
The Center for Aquatic Sciences at Adventure Aquarium is a non-profit located at Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ. Founded in 1989 the Center encourages the understanding of and concern for aquatic animals and their habitats. The Center’s mission is: “to encourage education and youth development by promoting the understanding, appreciation and protection of aquatic life and habitats.” In performing this mission, the Center strives to be a responsible member of the community, assisting in its economic and social redevelopment by providing opportunities for education, enrichment and employment. Through on-site and off-site education programming, summer camps, overnight experiences, research programs and a robust youth development program for Camden City teens, the Center provides environmental and conservation education at the local, state, national and international levels.
The Position: Communications Intern
The Development and Communications Department is seeking applicants for the position of Communications Intern. This is a great opportunity for the right person to contribute to the important work that the Center does, while also gaining valuable career and portfolio skills. The Communications Intern will assist with a communication and marketing campaign centered around a rebranding of the Center. The Center has just completed a year-long assessment of the organization, culminating in the approval of a new 3-year strategic plan, updated marketing analysis and planned name change. This assessment and changes will require significant communication to the Center’s constituents. The Intern will assist in public relations outreach, marketing, and communications including social media.
Working as part of a small Communications team, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge in the following communication disciplines: social media/digital, media/PR and brand. We are looking for enthusiastic and passionate individuals with an interest in building a career in non-profit communications and a commitment to making a real contribution to achieving the Center’s mission.
The position is part-time and staff will work with interns to receive college credit upon completion. The position is unpaid. Interns are expected to work 8-16 hours a week with some flexibility in schedule.
You will assist the Development/Communication Department with a variety of communications, public relations, and events related tasks. These may include but are not limited to:
• Assist with media relations and outreach, including working on media lists, cataloguing media mentions, format and post news stories to the website, perform research, and other duties
• Support event/mailing logistics, including customer service, mailings, data entry, and other administrative tasks as needed, for Center events & mailings
• Research and draft social media content
• Assist in writing and editing of bi-monthly newsletter
• Assistance with fund-raising activities
• Compile press kits as needed
• Research and write responses to community questions
• Other duties as needed
Applicants should demonstrate the following:
• Interest in aquatic animals and habitats, as well as education.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Poise, confidence, and outstanding organization and time management skills, with an attention to detail
• Ability to complete tasks in a productive, proactive manner with minimal day-to-day supervision.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
• Familiarity with Salesforce preferred but not required.
• Experience with social media is a plus, but not required.
Send resume and cover letter to Barbara Kelly, Director of Development and Communication, firstname.lastname@example.org